Current grant application window status
Next application window (online form): To be announced
The Save Our Seas Foundation (SOSF) is committed to protecting our oceans by funding and supporting research, conservation and education projects worldwide, focusing primarily on charismatic threatened wildlife and their habitats. Only projects concerned with marine chondrichthyan species (sharks, rays, skates, sawfishes and chimaeras) will be considered.
A special call for applications for 2018 was aimed at supporting research projects that promote the recovery of sawfishes.
The funding cycle is biennial, with the grant application window opening in even years (2018, 2020, 2022, etc.), and the grant covering the period from March 2019 to June 2020, for example. Funds are allocated on an annual basis, with the option to apply for continued funding every year. The usual project duration is limited to three years. Grants average 25,000 USD per annum.
- The Keystone Grant application process consists of a two-stage online application: Stage I involves completing a short online form, equivalent to four to six pages. Stage II, by invitation only based on the Stage I application, will involve the completion of a longer and more detailed online form, equivalent to 10 to 12 pages.
- It is the policy of the SOSF to provide, where practicable, a degree of continuing support to the projects it is funding; the leaders of such projects may be invited by the SOSF to complete an application for a continuation grant in the coming year.
- Only one application will be accepted from any one applicant.
- If a project leader has an SOSF Keystone Grant, he/she cannot apply for a new grant.
- All applications will be reviewed by the SOSF scientific committee and require final approval from the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
Please read the funding guidelines carefully.
Application questions [PDF]
Application guidelines [PDF]